USAF S/N 56-1140 is an F-102A-65-CO, one of 875 F-102As built by Convair in San Diego, California. It was delivered to the USAF on June 4, 1957 and assigned to the 438th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ADC), Kinrose AFB, Michigan. In March, 1958 it went to the 95th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (ADC), Andrews AFB, Maryland, and then in February, 1960 to the 509th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Clark AB, Philippines. Its last assignment was with the 154th Fighter Group (ANG), Hickam AFB, Hawaii beginning in January, 1957. It was flown to the museum in a C-5 transport on October 7, 1984.
It is displayed in the colors of the 431st Fighter Interceptor Squadron ‘Red Devils’, and carries the number 55-431 in honor of that unit which was assigned to McClellan AFB as a test squadron for many years.
Power Plant: One Pratt-Whitney J57-P-23, w/afterburner; 17,000 lb thrust.
Span: 38 ft 1-1/2 in.
Length: 68 ft 3 in.
Height: 21 ft 2-1/2 in.
Performance: Max. Speed – 825 (Mach 1.2) at 36,000.
Armament: Six Hughes GAR-1D or -2A Falcon missiles, mounted on rails in three missile bays in fuselage. Provision for twenty-four 2.75 in. rockets in firing channels in missile bay doors.
THIS AIRCRAFT IS ON LOAN FROM THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE USAF